- The Management Myth: Management focuses on maintaining systems and processes. Influential leadership is about influencing people to follow.
- The Entrepreneur Myth: People may be buying what somebody is selling (or saying), but they are not necessarily buying into his leadership or vision.
- The Knowledge Myth: Mental superiority does not necessarily equate to leadership.
- The Pioneer Myth: The one in front is not necessarily the leader. The leader is the one with the vision that people want to follow.
- The Position Myth: The greatest misunderstanding about leadership is that people think it’s based on position. Maxwell quotes Stanley Huffty, “It’s not the position that makes the leader; it’s the leader that makes the position.”